Judging by the advantages of printed newspapers and magazines in terms of better readability compared to the small screen Internet, it's likely that they won't be going away anytime soon. However, just recently, I noticed just how much I personally prefer reading the news and tech articles on my mobile phone in many situations especially when I am out and about. Some examples:
- When going to the train station recently to exchange a train ticket (no in France that is mostly still not possible online...) I took along a magazine I wanted to read while waiting in line. On the way there, I noticed that I didn't like carrying the magazine. Not that it was heavy and bulky but it restricted my movements because one hand was no longer free. I was close to dumping it on the way home.
- In the metro there is usually no place to unfold a magazine or newspaper and usually also no place to open the backpack to get it in the first place.
In both circumstances reading the same content on the mobile phone is much more convenient. Sure, the screen size is a lot smaller and one has much less overview over the content. However:
- The mobile can be taken out of the pocket immediately. No extra space is required for this and its possible even in a very crowded metro.
- I can read even in the most crowded places.
- When being distracted I can easily resume reading where I was interrupted because the passage is still on the screen.
So in those situations the small screen Internet is definitely the winner. And I am sure the iPhone 3G will help to increase awareness, even though in my opinion downloading full web pages is much inferior to using OperaMini.
What are your experiences?